Admittedly, this is not the most editing related post I’ve ever written. But I think it’s important, so I’m doing it anyway.
As members of the publishing community (and as members of the human race), it’s important for us to be aware of others around us and to boost marginalized voices. With that in mind, I’d like to recommend 10 books to celebrate Black History Month.
1. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor
2. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
3. If You Come Softly by Jacqueline Woodson
4. Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
5. Dark Sons by Nikki Grimes
6. Mo’ne Davis: Remember My Name by Mo’ne Davis
7. MLK: Journey of a King by Tonya Bolden
8. Monster by Walter Dean Myers
9. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas